This recipe updates the Italian basic, sausage and peppers, with vegan sausage. It makes a hearty one-dish meal served with pasta, grains, or polenta. Proven above, it’s paired with farro. Delicate, pale-green Italian frying peppers which can be sometimes accessible in supermarkets and produce markets make this extra genuine, however utilizing widespread bell peppers works simply as nicely.
Italian-Model Vegan Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package deal Tofurky or Area Roast vegan sausage, any selection, lower into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 massive onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 massive Italian frying peppers, seeded and lower into strips (or substitute 3 massive crimson, inexperienced, or yellow bell peppers, or a mix)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, non-obligatory
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or contemporary oregano to style)
- 1 tsp dried basil (or contemporary basil to style)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- dried sizzling crimson pepper flakes, to style
- salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- sizzling cooked pasta, grains, or polenta, non-obligatory
- Warmth simply sufficient of the oil to evenly coat the underside of a giant skillet, reserving the remaining. Add the sausage and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth, stirring steadily till all sides are golden brown. Take away from the skillet and put aside.
- Warmth the remaining oil in the identical pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low warmth till translucent. Add the garlic and peppers and sauté till all are smooth and golden.
- Stir within the non-obligatory wine, pureed tomatoes, and seasonings. Convey to a simmer, then cowl and prepare dinner over low warmth for 10 minutes.
- Stir the reserved vegan sausage into the combination. Season with salt and pepper. Serve without delay, spooning among the sausage and peppers combination over particular person servings of pasta, grains, or polenta, or by itself should you choose.
Photographs: Evan Atlas
Listed below are extra:
This submit was initially printed on 30 September 2012.