PATTON — Issues received slightly heated at Cambria Heights Excessive Faculty on Monday as first responders from the Carrolltown and Patton fireplace corporations provided a novel alternative for college students to apply placing out fires.
Firefighters equipped and demonstrated methods to use a fireplace extinguisher. Then college students got the possibility to use the lesson by extinguishing a stay fireplace themselves.
“That is actually essential as a result of in the event that they run right into a state of affairs when they should use a fireplace extinguisher, they know methods to use it and methods to use it correctly,” mentioned Pat Wooden, fireplace chief of the Patton Fireplace Firm.
Highschool college students enrolled in meals and vitamin in addition to chemistry courses realized concerning the several types of fireplace extinguishers and their use. After a brief lesson, the scholars took on the duty of utilizing a fireplace extinguisher to knock down a stay fireplace from a propane liquid pit.
Paul Eckenrode, the chemistry trainer at Cambria Heights, mentioned the native fireplace departments have taught the category at the highschool for a number of years. It’s particularly geared towards college students who’re most definitely to come across a fireplace on the faculty, he mentioned.
“When you consider wherever within the senior highschool the place there’s going to be a fireplace, it’s most likely going to be in a type of two rooms,” Eckenrode mentioned of the chemistry classroom and meals and vitamin classroom. “We’re continually cooking in our meals and vitamin courses, and we’re working with flammable supplies in our labs,” he mentioned.
College students additionally realized concerning the risks posed by grease fires — water poured on a grease fireplace causes the hearth to develop.
The lesson was highlighted by a firefighter pouring a spoonful of water onto a stay grease fireplace. College students noticed the hearth’s response as flames burst into the sky and the hearth grew a number of sizes bigger.
“Placing water on a grease fireplace will solely make the hearth worse, and it may well additionally trigger painful burns as properly,” Wooden mentioned.
“It’s essential to be ready in case an accident does occur,” Eckenrode mentioned.
The coaching was a part of Nationwide Fireplace Prevention Week, which started Monday.
Mirror Workers Author Calem Illig is at 814-946-7535.
At the moment’s breaking information and extra in your inbox