This homey brown rice pilaf is loaded with nutritious taste from white beans, shiitake mushrooms, and recent spinach. This straightforward dish makes a scrumptious vegan dinner or hearty lunch.
This brown rice pilaf is:
- A hearty vegan meal – consolation meals at its finest!
- Full of protein and fiber
- Prepared in below an hour
- Straightforward to make forward, so it’s excellent for meal prep.
This recipe is infinitely versatile. As a substitute of rice, you possibly can swap in your individual favourite grains like quinoa, wheat berries, or bulgur.
It’s also possible to swap out the white beans for cooked lentils, black-eyed peas, or chopped seitan so as to add an additional dose of protein.
Or add some warmth with a minced jalapeño chile!
This recipe is from the wonderful vegan cookbook, One-Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson. Yow will discover it listed within the e book as Brown Rice with White Beans, Shiitakes, and Spinach. It has been shared with permission of The Harvard Widespread Press.
For extra methods to make use of brown rice, discover these Classic Rice Dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 giant candy onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced, about 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups raw brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and freshly floor black pepper to style
- 4 scallions chopped
- 8 ounces child spinach recent
- 1 1/2 cups canned white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon recent dill or basil minced
Warmth the oil or water in a big saucepan over medium warmth. Add the onion and cook dinner till gentle, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook dinner about 3 minutes or till the mushrooms are tender.
Stir within the rice and cook dinner, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir within the vegetable broth and produce to a boil. Cut back the warmth, season with salt and pepper to style, cowl, and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring sometimes.
Uncover, and add the scallions and spinach, stirring till the spinach wilts. Stir within the beans and dill. Prepare dinner for five minutes longer, or till the broth is absorbed and the rice is tender. Style and alter the seasonings if wanted. Serve sizzling.
Energy: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 13g | Fats: 6g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Sodium: 529mg | Potassium: 1035mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5687IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 5mg
This text was first revealed in 2013. It has since been up to date.